Custom Search

Friday, February 19, 2010

Controlling Emotions or Emotionally Controlled? Which one are YOU?

http://successwithcorey.com/
     This is a bit touchy subject for some people and before I continue with anything let me tell you that if I offend you by what I say from my experiences, let me be the first to tell you that you will get over it.

     Anyways... I will tell you a story about what happened to me very briefly before I continue. One day I was in the store and I ran across one of my old high school classmates whom I didn't get along with very well. Well I asked him how he's been over the years and he feels the need to try to aggravate me like he used to in high school. Now I'm not gonna lie, I used to let it get to me but from the things I've learned have taught me how to properly handle situations such as these. Our conversation continued and it was QUITE annoying but I kept cool because I've learned that your emotions control your actions so if I let him control my emotions he would be able to control my actions.

     For example. If you want someone to fight you you would typically talk about their mom or bash them so they hit you first. In doing that you are ensuring that you control that they swing first. 

     Anyway, I asked myself am I gonna let him control my emotions which in turn would control me? I wasn't going to let this happen so I told myself, "Lets have a little fun". Now in doing this I killed the situation with kindness which I knew would get under his skin and bother him which would in turn control his emotions which would in turn control him. Make sense? Our conversation went on and its like the odds flipped. HE was the one who was getting highly upset and he is the one who was being "Controlled" and it was due to me consciously knowing what I was doing. He ended up leaving and his day was probably ruined while I just left and continued to be my happy self.

     Now I didn't intentionally make him mad, but I intentionally kept him from making me mad which made him mad.  My point in saying this is I controlled my emotions rather than letting him control them for me because if you don't control your emotions someone else will which means someone else will control your actions, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that. Once you are conscious about this fact you will find it funny when you realize someone is trying to mess with your emotions and know that YOU can run ANY situation with your new ability to control emotions.

     Just know that if you want to be happy you can be happy by thinking about something that made you happier than you have ever been. If you are at the point of anger just flip that switch and its as easy as that. I challenge you to try it one day. If you talk to someone who is trying to get you angry know that you can control the situation by NOT getting angry. You'll enjoy what happens.
Comment and let me know what you think.

http://successwithcorey.com/
To Your Success,
Corey Otten

7 comments:

FoolyshGrl said...

Is it just me, or did you throw out an example of controlling people's emotions right there in your first line of the blog? I could see why some people would be upset reading this, but its true! Its not a question of who plays the best mind games... its a question on how well you let others control you. Or even better... how well you keep others from controlling you.

Anonymous said...

You asked which one I am, I'd sayy both. I don't let people gett to mee, but I'll admit there's certain people who I let get to me, and it sucks! Butt I'll learn to deal with it and not lett it affect me, so it's all gooood


I have to submit this anonymously butt it's Tayy incase you couldn't figure it outt lol

<3=l

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say I'm both. You try your absolute best no matter what the situation is. At some point in time we have to acknowledge ourselves and be able to control our emotions before our actions take over us.

<3 Maria

Kailee :D said...

Corey, you always have such a good insight on things. You have taught me a lot in the time I've know you. There are people that I let get under my skin, and you are always the one telling me not to let it effect me. I am lucky to have a friend like you. Oh and I'm the emotionally controlled. LOL. I'm weak. lol <33

prjenni said...

i think this is so true,, this helped me a whole lot today i needed this blog lol thanks corey for sharing youre experience "]
prjenni

Kali said...

:] I love you, Corey. You're definitely right about how controlling even your own emotions can have such a big impact on how others control (or don't control, as your example shows) theirs. How you REACT controls how you ACT.

FoolyshGrl said...

~I thought of you yesterday Corey. And this Blog.

I was in Target and went to a line that only had one customer, but ended up the cashier was REALLY slow so thats why the line was so short. I mean she was SO SLOW it was irritating. I think she was new. And the lady in line had like fifty things. So any day this happens the situation is easily predicted. People start acting rude. I know cause I used to do that a lot. But that day I changed it! I controlled the emotions Corey and I thought of you! I was in a good mood, cause I just got done tormenting teenage boys outside (oh hey thats another example of emotional control) and I heard the guy behind me in line start fidgeting like he was getting ready to start his rude routine, and I decided to smile and be nice. And act like "Rude people suck" and stood in line and looked happy and content. And the cashier looked at me all nervous cause she knew she was being slow and I just smiled like "its ok I dont care" and looked at things on the rack next to me while I waited. So then this guy behind me gets in a good mood and starts acting the same and this girl behind him starts being all nice and then all three of us are just talking and waiting and being happy. And the whole situation ended up being so much better and the lady finally got to me and apologized for the wait and everyone in like was like "oh its ok" and I was like "PALEEZE you people are just a bunch of Followers!" No joking.. I didnt say that. but still... I totally had that emotionally controlled situation by the balls