Custom Search

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taking Advice

http://successwithcorey.com/
    Alright, I chose to write about this due to the fact that I have had a lot of people come to me and ask for advice only to tell me what I say wont work, BEFORE they even try it.

     Now I get the impression that most of the time they just want to complain but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. When you ask for advice, TAKE MY ADVICE, when I say listen to the person with an open mind. What they say MAY help you. Ill give you an example that I get a lot from many people. If you ask someone about relationships and they tell you something that you HAVEN'T tried before, try it, THEN if it doesn't work then you can deny it. But if you keep doing the same thing you have always done you will always get what you've always got. You cant expect to get different results from doing the same thing OVER and OVER again.

     Listening to people's opinions can really expand your mind to more possibilities. If you really do want change then try to listen to someone. But if you just want to complain maybe you shouldn't waste peoples' time.

     I may be writing this with a bit of aggravation but I hope I get the message across. My friend Linda said that most people she's dealt with have had a "front" when asking for advice just to make it seem like they truly wanted change but they did absolutely NOTHING. I find this to be the case in a lot of people who truly need to change they just don't. Who am I to say anything tho. If you don't want to change then don't. But also if you want to complain, don't come to me unless you really want to change.

     The whole purpose of this is to help you better take advice so you don't
1) Aggravate the person you are asking for advice.
2) Come off as if you are putting on a "front"
3) Fail at getting the desired results.

     When you ask someone for advice, if they are good at giving advice they will "seek to understand, then seek to be understood". Once you finish they will relate with you somehow. When they do that it opens the door and you should be more receptive to listen. What YOU should do is actually listen and take into consideration everything they are saying. I'm not saying drop everything and change everything you are doing. I'm just saying listen with an open mind because they may tell you something that could possibly change the outcome for the better.

     This post really can't be any more simple than that, but your reason why you are asking advice needs to be strong enough so you will actually WANT to listen to the advice given. If its not then you wont do anything and you will just continue living the life you have lived.

http://successwithcorey.com/
To Your Success,
Corey Otten

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally agree with you on this post because I just recently was giving a few people advice and then did the total opposite of what I told them and then they went back to step one. I guess it takes a few tries for people to realize what there actions having on who they are and what they are becoming and being able to talk to someone who has gone through the same situation is a lot better than going through it alone. But I do have to say thank you Corey for giving me advice. It helped me realize alot of things in life and how to deal with them.

Maria

Lydia said...

You can only help people so much until you simply can't help them anymore. If you are constantly giving someone the same advice and they always tend to do the opposite of what you are telling them, then what's the point? People have to learn for themselves and you can't always be there giving them the answers to everything, especially when they don't care to listen. In the end, they will end up using you; talking to you only when they need/want something. And that's when you say that you cannot help them anymore because you've already done all that you can do. Additionally, they are on their own and need to learn for themselves.